How is Otoplasty Surgery Performed?Dr Rajat Gupta
Otoplasty, also known as ear pinning or ear reshaping surgery, is a cosmetic surgery performed to correct the size, shape, or positioning of the ears. While otoplasty is often performed for cosmetic reasons, it can also be carried out to address functional issues such as congenital disabilities or injuries that affect the structure or positioning of the ears. Otoplasty surgery can be performed at any age, usually after 5, because the ear achieves its full size at this age.
People seek otoplasty surgery in Delhi for various reasons, including:
- To Correct Prominent Ears
- To Reshape Misshapen Ears
- To Correct Ear Asymmetry
- To Reconcile an Injury or Trauma to Ear
- To Pin Down a Stretched Earlobe
- To Address Their Physicological Well Being
- To Bring a Facial Harmony
Now, let us get familiar with the Otoplasty surgical procedure before deciding in its favour.
How is Otoplasty Surgery Performed?
Otoplasty is commonly performed as an outpatient treatment under anesthesia. Usually, there are three types of otoplasty surgery, and the choice of a particular procedure depends on the individual’s needs and goals.
Here is a step-by-step account of how otoplasty in Delhi is generally performed.
Anesthesia: The procedure starts with the administration of anesthesia. Your surgeon will give you anesthesia for comfort during the procedure. The otoplasty surgery can be performed under local or general anesthesia, depending on age.
Incisions: After giving the anesthesia, your surgeon will make the incisions behind the ear, in the natural crease where the ear meets the head. But in rare cases, incisions are made on the front of the ear. In that case, the best cosmetic surgeon in Delhi will make the incisions within the ear’s folds to conceal them.
Cartilage Reshaping and Ear Positioning: The primary goal of otoplasty in Delhi is to reshape the cartilage within the ear to achieve a more natural and balanced look. Your surgeon may utilize various procedures to reshape the cartilage, such as scoring, sparing, or eliminating extra cartilage. Let us understand them in detail.
Have questions or want to get started? We are ready to help you with a smile!
Cartilage Scoring: A minimally invasive procedure that involves cutting tiny channels in the cartilage. The surgeon can modify and bend the cartilage using these channels without endangering it. The cartilage is subsequently fixed in its new position using sutures. Several ear abnormalities, such as protruding ears, cupped ears, and low-set ears, can be treated using the adaptable technique of cartilage scoring.
Cartilage Sparing: This procedure is also minimally invasive and doesn’t involve cutting into the cartilage. Instead, the surgeon permanently repositions and reshapes the ear using strong stitches. People who want to prevent cartilage injuries might consider cartilage-sparing.
Removal of Cartilage: This method is done to make big ears smaller. A little piece of cartilage from the upper earlobe is surgically removed. Other procedures, including cartilage scoring or sparing, can be used in conjunction with cartilage removal.
Repositioning or Pinning: This method brings the earlobes nearer to the head. After making incisions behind the ears, the surgeon moves the skin and cartilage. Combining ear relocation with other procedures like cartilage scoring or cartilage sparing is possible.
The individual’s needs and the surgeon’s experience will determine the best cartilage reshaping and ear positioning procedure. To select the best procedure for you, you must talk with your surgeon about your specific condition and all of your options.
Closing Incisions: Once the cartilage is reshaped and the ear is repositioned, your surgeon will close the incisions with sutures.
Dressing and Bandages: After closing the incisions, the best cosmetic surgeon in Delhi will apply protective bandages and dressings to the ears to provide support, protect the surgical area, and promote proper healing. This dressing may need to be worn for at least 5 days after surgery.
Recovery: The recovery period can vary from patient to patient, depending on the severity of the procedure. After surgery, you can experience some discomfort, swelling, and bruising for a few days. However, these symptoms can be managed with the prescribed pain medications and following the surgeon’s instructions. You should avoid strenuous activities, protect the ears, and sleep with your head elevated to improve the healing process.
Follow-up Appointments: Your surgeon will schedule several follow-up appointments to monitor the healing process and remove sutures. You should keep all the appointments for quick healing.
Results: Once the swelling reduces and the ear settles into its new shape and position, the ultimate effects of otoplasty in Delhi become more visible. However, seeing the visible results may take a few weeks to a month.
Post-operative care following an otoplasty surgery is crucial for ensuring proper healing and achieving the best results. Here are some tips for post-operative care after otoplasty:
- Keep your head elevated, even while sleeping. It will help reduce swelling and promote better blood circulation to the surgical area. You can use an extra pillow to keep your head elevated while sleeping.
- Have a large head dressing after otoplasty surgery in Delhi. Keep the dressing dry while cleaning your face.
- After removing the dressing, apply antibiotic ointment to the incision site three times for two to three days.
- Once the dressing is removed, you can start washing your hair cautiously. Don’t bend or fold your ears while taking a head bath.
- Take the prescribed medication to manage pain and discomfort.
- Wearing glasses is permitted; however, it is advised that they be taped down to avoid putting pressure on the incision.
- Avoid engaging in strenuous physical activities, like sports, intense exercise, and sexual intercourse. You can resume gentle walking three days after the surgery. More vigorous activities like aerobic exercise, weight training, heavy lifting, and strenuous exertion can gradually be resumed three weeks after the surgery.
- Children can return to school within a week after the surgery but must wear the headband consistently. Additionally, they should avoid participating in active sports or physical education classes during recovery.
- Avoid swimming for at least 4-6 weeks after surgery.
- Follow the surgeon’s instructions for changing bandages, maintaining cleanliness, and protecting the hearing.
Risks and Complications of Otoplasty Surgery
Otoplasty in Delhi is generally considered a safe and effective procedure. Choosing a board-certified and experienced surgeon is important to ensure safety and quality results. However, like any surgical procedure, otoplasty carries some risks and complications. Here are some of the most common side effects of otoplasty surgery:
- Infection: Some people can experience infection at the incision site if the surgery is not performed in sterile conditions. It can be managed with proper wound care and antibiotics.
- Bleeding: It is rare; some people still experience bleeding during or after otoplasty in Delhi. But the excessive bleeding requires medical attention.
- Scarring: While the incisions are well-hidden, some scarring may occur. However, in some cases, the scars may be visible. Scarring is often reduced by creating incisions behind the ear and employing attentive surgical techniques.
- Asymmetry: The ears can be asymmetrical after otoplasty. This can occur if the cartilage is not reshaped equally or if the incisions are not made in the same area on each ear. In most situations, asymmetry is modest and may be addressed with revision surgery.
- Numbness: Some patients can experience numbness in the skin around the ear for a few weeks after otoplasty surgery in Delhi. However, it is temporary.
- Pain: There is usually some pain after otoplasty. Take the prescribed medications to manage the pain.
- Unsatisfactory Results: Sometimes, the surgeon may overcorrect or undercorrect the ears, leading to unnatural or unsatisfactory results. These issues can be addressed with revision surgery.
- Allergic Reactions: Although rare, people may experience allergic reactions to anaesthesia, sutures, or other materials used during surgery.
However, discussing these side effects with the best cosmetic surgeon in Delhi and following post-operative instructions can help eliminate these side effects.
The Action to Take
If you are considering otoplasty in Delhi, consult a board-certified plastic surgeon with the expertise and experience required for successful results. Dr. Rajat Gupta, a renowned plastic surgeon, is dedicated to helping patients achieve their aesthetic goals through meticulous surgical techniques. With a commitment to patient care and safety, Dr. Gupta offers personalized solutions tailored to each individual.
Dr. Rajat Gupta
MBBS, MS, DNB(Gen. Surg.),
DNB (Plastic Surgery)
Dr. Rajat Gupta is a board certified plastic surgeon in India with 13 years of experience to back his expertise in the domain of aesthetic surgeries.
Having completed his training from Maulana Azad Medical College and equipped with a thorough understanding of aesthetic needs of people, Dr. Gupta strives to offer the best remedies and cosmetic procedures outfitted with the latest technology to the aspirants in India and across the globe. To book an appointment, call: +91-9251711711 or email: email@example.com