The Procedure of Buccal Pad Fat RemovalDr Rajat Gupta
The Buccal Pad Fat is one of the several enclosed masses of fat in the cheek. This excess fat is placed on both sides of your face between the buccinator muscle and other superficial muscles. The size of the buccal pads affects the shape of your face.
We all have buccal pads, but their size can vary greatly. If you have large buccal fat pads, your face might look too round or chubby.
There is nothing wrong with having big and chubby cheeks. However, if you want to have smaller cheeks, then a plastic surgeon can help you remove the buccal fat pad from your cheeks.
If you are interested in getting the Buccal Pad fat removal, read further to learn about the procedure, complications, and recovery.
The procedure of Buccal Pad Fat Removal
Buccal Pad Fat removal is a simple plastic surgery procedure, also known as Buccal Lipectomy. During this procedure, the buccal pad is surgically removed to give you defined facial contours. The procedure is done on an outpatient basis and requires only 30 minutes.
Here are the surgical steps to this procedure:
- Your surgeon will administer general or topical anaesthesia, depending on your condition. It will ensure that you don’t feel any discomfort or pain during the surgery.
- After administering anesthesia, the surgeon makes about half a cm incision inside the mouth (also called the buccal mucosa) on the patient’s cheeks. Doing this minimizes the risk of getting a visible scar.
- The surgeon uses the site of this incision to extract fat from the cheek. Your surgeon will apply pressure on the cheeks from the outside, forcing the buccal fat pad to protrude inside the mouth. The required tissue is then extracted from this protruded pad, leaving the cheek size reduced and proportionate to the face.
- The surgeon then closes the incision with the help of dissolvable sutures and is left to heal on its own, which usually happens in just a few days.
Have questions or want to get started? We are ready to help you with a smile!
Who qualifies for the procedure?
Buccal Pad Fat removal is a surgery that anyone can opt for if they are interested in getting defined facial features and smaller cheeks. However, there are a few things that are important to consider before you can get it done.
- Good physical health is essential for Buccal pad fat removal.
- Both men and women can get this surgery done, and it can be on either or both cheeks.
- You must have a healthy weight. If you have a narrow and thin face, the surgery might result in sunken cheeks when you get older.
- Your cheeks are chubby, round, or fuller, which makes your face look non-proportionate.
- You have realistic expectations from the surgery.
Consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine if you’re an ideal candidate for the treatment.
Where and by whom should you get Buccal pad fat removed?
Oral and maxillofacial surgeons or facial plastic surgeons are trained to perform this type of surgery. As our in-house board-certified expert Dr. Rajat Gupta says, the surgeon and the center where you get the surgery are necessary to determine the final result’s quality.
Therefore, you must make sure that the following aspects are satisfied:
- The surgeon
- The center
- The techniques of surgery
Before getting the surgery done, get a consultation, and be sure that you want the surgery to be done.
How long does it take to recover?
Buccal Pad Fat removal is a simple and straightforward cosmetic surgery. The entire procedure only takes half an hour. As it is an outpatient procedure, the patient does not need to stay in a hospital after the surgery and can go home on the same day.
If performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon who has good experience in performing Buccal Fat Pad Removal surgery, the procedure has minimal or no side effects. However, some patients may experience temporary side effects including:
- Bleeding in the treated area
- Low risk of infection
- Slow healing of incisions
- Anesthesia risks
Although your surgeon will discuss these side effects before the procedure, you do not have to worry about anything, if you undergo the procedure with a board certified cosmetic surgeon.
- The recovery time for the surgery is 2-3 days, and it is important that you don’t have any drink or hard food until six hours post-surgery.
- Use ice packs to reduce any swelling in the cheeks.
- Take prescribed medicines as instructed by the surgeon to recover faster.
- To reduce any risk of infections, use an antiseptic mouthwash, and take proper care of the treated area.
- Avoid extreme facial expressions while you recover from the surgery.
Benefits of Buccal Pad Fat Removal
If you desire to have Buccal Pad removed, the below benefits are why you should consider getting a Buccal Pad Fat removal surgery:
- Natural-looking results
- Safe and straightforward surgery
- You get improved facial contours
- The surgery results in rejuvenated face shape
- Painless and Scarless procedure
- Quick recovery time
- Symmetrical face shape
What to expect from the surgery?
Here is a quick highlight of what to expect before, during, and after surgery:
Before the treatment
Before going for any treatment, it is important to get an in-depth consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to decide what you expect from the surgery and what are the complications, if any, and results. After the discussion, the surgeon will prescribe some blood tests to ensure that you are safe to get the surgery. The surgeon will adjust your medication if you are taking any.
It is important that you stop smoking a month before the treatment and continue doing so for a month after the treatment as well. If you take blood-thinning medicines like aspirin or anti-inflammatory, stop them for two weeks before the surgery. Stop taking any recreational drugs, like cocaine. And lastly, arrange for a driver to get you home.
During the treatment
You will be given local or general anesthesia so that you won’t feel any pain. Your surgeon will make an incision inside your cheek and place pressure outside to expose the buccal pad. Then, your surgeon will cut and remove the buccal pad fat. At last, the incision will be closed using dissolvable sutures.
After the treatment
The surgeon will advise you not to drink anything or have food for six hours post-surgery. After six hours, soft food or liquid food is allowed. The incisions will heal within 2-3 days. Full recovery takes about three weeks. It will take a few months before your cheeks can settle into a new and natural-looking shape.
Results of the procedure
The Buccal Pad Fat removal surgery is a quick and straightforward procedure with long-lasting results and no visible scar. The placement of the scar and removal technique with state-of-the-art equipment ensures you get a symmetrical and slimmer face. The removal of buccal pad fat tissues also gives you a proportionate and toned face, and it tightens the skin.
Consult Dr. Rajat Gupta for Further Details
We understand that you might be nervous about getting Buccal Fat Pad removal. Although we have covered all the necessary queries and doubts that you might have about the procedure, having further doubts is only natural.
Getting cosmetic surgery is personal, and it can be tough to make the decision. This is why you must consult Dr. Rajat Gupta for any queries that you may have regarding the Buccal Pad Fat removal procedure. Dr. Rajat Gupta is a board-certified surgeon who operates from a well-equipped center, RG Aesthetics. He will be pleased to answer all your queries and doubts.
Dr. Rajat Gupta
MBBS, MS, DNB(Gen. Surg.),
DNB (Plastic Surgery)
Dr. Rajat Gupta is a board certified plastic surgeon in India with 10 years of experience to back his expertise in the domain of aesthetic surgeries.
Having completed his training from Maulana Azad Medical College and equipped with a thorough understanding of aesthetic needs of people, Dr. Gupta strives to offer the best remedies and cosmetic procedures outfitted with the latest technology to the aspirants in India and across the globe. To book an appointment, call: +91-9251711711 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org