Dimples can add charm and cuteness to a face and can be extremely attractive to the opposite sex. All of us have that one celebrity who we like just for their smile. Unfortunately, not all of us are born with dimples. These days it is a simple remedy to this situation, and create permanent dimples with a simple 30 minutes procedure.
What is a dimple creation surgery?
Dimples form naturally when there is a small defect in the cheek musculature. The skin that lies over this defect gets wedged down to the underlying connective tissue. When you smile, this causes dimples to form. With dimple creation surgery, we mimic this natural occurring process. A small incision is made to the inner lining of the cheek, and a small suture is passed through where the dimple is desired. Then this suture is tied, catching the surface under the skin, causing a dimple to form. In some cases, a small chuck of soft tissue may be removed to further enhance the dimple.
What can I expect from the surgery?
- Dimple creation surgery takes about 30 minutes to perform. You can expect to go home right after the procedure and continue with your routine the next day.
- Dimple creation is a safe and straightforward procedure, with minimal complications. However, it is also somewhat reversible, depending on some variables.
- A little swelling and bruising can be expected. It is also necessary to take antibiotics for some days after the procedure.
- It will take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of months for surgically made dimples to look natural. At first, the dimple will be visible when you are not smiling.
- Facial movements might at first be slightly hindered and impaired. It is advisable to restrict activities and sleep with your head elevated for the first couple of days.
- You can decide where and how deep you want your dimple to be. You can also decide if you want just one or two dimples.
How can you prepare for the procedure?
- Avoid taking certain medications like aspirin or any other such NSAIDs, herbal supplements, etc.
- Get lab testing and get medical evaluation.
- Avoid smoking at least one week before the procedure.
- Stock up on soft foods which will cause the least swelling while eating.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
It is natural to be nervous and have anxiety before a procedure. It is advisable to talk to your friendly and board certified plastic cosmetic surgeon about any doubts you may have. Discuss likely outcomes of the surgery and the risks associated. Evaluate any pre-existing conditions and your general health status. Before you can tell, you will have the set of dimples you always dreamed about having.