A breast reduction surgery or medically known as mammoplasty is not just a personal choice to appear attractive; it is a solution to women struggling with overtly large breasts causing then shoulder, back & neck pain or those who are not happy or are self-conscious about the large breasts.
Unusually, having large breasts is a common problem faced by many women is usually due to hereditary but could also be due to excessive weight gain, hormonal changes in the women’s body, or simply due to natural ageing.Breast sagging can also be due to the poor toning up of the skin due to the break of the ligaments during pregnancy or lactation. Large breasts often appear droopy which could result in lower confidence due to poor physical appearance.
Each of these conditions can be amended with the mammoplasty operation using in each case the most suitable technique.
You are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery if:
- You have very big breasts
- You have droopy or ptotic breasts
- You experience shoulder and upper back pain due to heavy breasts
- Your one breast is larger than the other
- You get deep furrows in the shoulders caused by the strips of the bras
- You get skin alternation isn the sub-mammary area
- You have stretch marks due to heavy breasts
- You are unhappy and self-conscious about the large appearance of your breasts.
Some patients although have a normal breast volume, their breasts have an unattractive shape; their breasts either have sagged down or their skin is too loose.
The main aim of surgical correction is to create a breast that is totally proportioned to the wideness of the thorax and the shoulders.
Breast reduction surgery is carried out under general anesthesia. Dr. Rajat Gupta employs newest techniques in breast reduction surgery known as the superomedial pedicle to achieve a more proportionate and youthful contour of the breasts.
The intervention consists of decreasing the breast volume and bring up the breast areola to the correct place, using the most approximated technique in each case. When the intervention is finished, a semi-compressive dressing is placed on the breasts as well as a drain if it is surgically indicated. After approximately 36 hours the dressing is changed for a bra without metallic rings and the patient is discharged from the hospital.
What will be the incision and scar like on my breast?
Dr. Rajat Gupta intend to satisfy their patients with the most possible concealed scars, looking for the most suitable place to conceal them. He combines the technique of liposuction and latest technique of short scar superomedial type and a special handling and suturing techniques that further minimize the scar. Final scar is from areola going inferiorly till short of inferior mammary line.
The scar is usually hidden underneath the breast and gets better with time. Usually, camouflages with the rest of the breast by one year of time and is barely noticeable.
- You may experience small amount of swelling, bruising and discomfort in the first 24 – 48 hours, but you can do your daily chores and go for a walk if desired.
- You can return to work 3 days post surgery if you have a sitting job that doesn’t require strenuous activity.
- One can start driving 7 days post op, but it always has to be wearing the bra which has to be used during day and night time
- Majority of the patients feel normal, one month post surgery. By then, most of the bruising, discomfort and swelling subside.
- By 6-8 weeks, you will be cleared to do all types of physical activity again.
- The breasts will still continue to “settle” into their final position over the course of the next few months.
Please note that each person is different and so is their recovery timeline. The above is only interpreted as a general guideline, rather than a rule.
Post Operation Care:
It is advisable to get some rest for 4-5 days post surgery and avoid any strenuous efforts. Don’t try to raise your arms above the head and also avoid hits. After 7-10 days the patient is expected to visit the clinic for examination and to remove the stitches of the suture.
Some of the patients present an increase in the sensitivity of the nipple and others a decrease. These alternations are usually temporary and resolved in a few months time.
It is normal that during the first month an asymmetry could exist due to the fact that an inflammation is being resolved and not always both breasts can present the same level of inflammation. It is also normal that one breast is harder than the other one and all that is resolved spontaneously.
Patients who have had breast reduction surgeries are among the happiest of plastic surgery patients! The procedure leads to dual benefits of improving your appearance while relieving the physical and emotional burden of having overly large breasts.
What is the Next Step?
If you are considering getting a Breast Reduction surgery, contact Dr. Rajat Gupta, a board certified plastic surgeon at RG Aesthetics for an appointment where we can discuss your requirements in more details. To book an appointment, call us on: +91-9251711711 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our practice accommodates out of town and international patients who fly in for surgery as well as those who live in Delhi.